Video: Alzheimer’s patients giving thanks
Oftentimes, family caregivers get overwhelmed with their duties. Those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s may have an especially difficult time watching their beloved spouse, parent or friend deal with the effect of onset dementia and early Alzheimer’s. What starts as initial frustration and lack of patience eventually gives way to understanding and, most importantly, love for your typical caregiver. Even so, it’s worth knowing that those receiving care do indeed appreciate all the help, as upset as they may be in dealing with a chronic condition that deteriorates their cognitive faculties over time.
A heartfelt video from the Alzheimer’s Association features many real life sufferers of Alzheimer’s and dementia giving thanks to those who make their lives more manageable by helping with daily tasks, such as taking meds on time, making sure they don’t wander off and get lost, offering rides, preparing meals and simply providing companionship.
Watch the video:
Alzheimer’s stats (via alz.org)
- In 2012, it’s estimated that 5.4 million Americans live with Alzheimer’s.
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S.
- It’s the only cause of death in the U.S. that cannot be cured or slowed.
- An estimated 1 in 7 people with Alzheimer’s live alone.
- There are more than 15 million caregivers in the U.S. who provided more than 17 billion hours of care in 2011.
- Since 2000, deaths from Alzheimer’s have increased by 66% while deaths from most other major diseases have dropped.
- Alzheimer’s costs the nation $200 billion annually.
- These numbers are only projected to rise.
Physicians Choice Private Duty currently serving Omaha, Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa provides seniors and their families a complete understanding of the available care options and helps families maneuver through the challenges of the system. All Physicians Choice Private Duty services are directed by registered nurses or social workers with no long-term contracts. Contact us today for help with your senior care needs.
“Physicians Choice Private Duty solves the problems families face in finding home health care providers they can trust. Providers who will focus on strategies that keep parents in their homes. To learn more about our health care services, visit https://private-duty.pchhc.com/services/“